Tuesday 15 May 2007

Keeping Busy

Last Thursday I was given a schedule of classes I could attend in the Language Resource Center at Reading University. I was also asked if I would be willing to help tutor one student on the side in pronunciation and help during open study hours (maybe start a conversation group). I'm now several days into this schedule, so I thought I would share.

I was mostly set up in Reading and Writing classes (I had mentioned that this was of interest to me) and I may be helping out in Jonathan's Listening/Speaking class on Speaking days. I just found out today that I will be teaching Level 6 (Advanced Reading and Writing) this summer, so I'm especially interested in picking up any ideas I could apply in my own classes. The teachers here have been working together for many years and have developed their own curriculum - no outside textbooks.

I tried to help during open study hours today, but there was an IELTs (similar to TOEFL) presentation going on at the same time, so most of the students who are usually studying were absent. With only two students to look after, the teacher in charge sent me home.

The girl I'm tutoring is from Taiwan and she is really struggling with pronunciation - especially long words. She wants to work in International consultant, too, so being able to speak clearly is rather important. As it turns out, she studied American pronunciation in Taiwan, so she is rather relieved to be paired with me. I have a feeling that I understand her a bit better than her English professors.

No comments: