Tuesday 22 May 2007

A Blow to the Cheese

Some sad news: Russell has decided it is unfair to rate cheeses against each other as the lower rated cheese will invariably have its feelings hurt. He has therefore withdrawn from the experiment. Alas.

I haven't decided if I'll continue posting ratings or not, but there's just still some really interesting cheese out there... In the meantime, here are the cheeses we've sampled over the last few weeks:

Mull Cheese (from the Isle of Mull)
This seemed most closely related to a swiss, but it was mild and just a little sweet with a consistency just a tad softer than parmesan.

Jaci:❍❍❍❍
I generally avoid Swiss-tasting cheeses like the plague, but I really enjoyed this one. Now to see if I can get it in Reading...

Davistow Mature Cheddar:
Nice and sharp, with a sweet aftertaste.

Jaci:❍❍❍
Perfectly reasonable cheddar, but I found it a bit too sweet.

Norwegian Jarlsburg:
Very mild, lightly sweet and nutty.

Jaci:❍❍❍
Tasty, and yet, hard to taste. This one had such a delicate flavor it had to be eaten unadorned to really be enjoyed. It was quite good, but the slightly rubbery texture dropped it to three cheese wheels. If you tend to shy away from stronger tasting cheese, I would highly recommend this, though. (❍❍❍❍❍ for the name).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was the Stilton complaining?

:)
Nicole