Sunday 31 January 2010

Taxes

Oh Man.

Taxes are going to be extra crazy this year. I worked in the US for 3 months and now here in Japan for 9 months. Russell worked all in the US but was living in Japan... We get tax help for Russell's half from his company, but they won't do my taxes. How does that work for filing jointly?

Japanese taxes are apparently done early in the year (the deadline to get tax info in to the tax preparer was last weekend) so we are starting to sort this out. I was told that we would get a bill in the mail for the taxes we owe to Japan - but the US Embassy for Japan has information that suggests I need to fill out paperwork first to figure out what I owe (just like I would in the U.S.) Of course, I have to file in the U.S. too...

I don't think they make a Turbo Tax edition for stuff like this...

Is it time I break down and approach a tax preparer? Where do I find one that can help with Japan and the US?

Ugh.

At least having to gather information for Russell has put this all on our radar early. I wouldn't want to be figuring this out right before the deadline.

No comments: