Sunday 31 January 2010

Dessert Soup

For our Christmas party back in December, I went looking for stocking stuffers at the local grocery store. The criteria was 1. cheap and 2. bulky. There was an end display with cute little packages decorated with a chestnut, so I assumed they were little chestnut cakes (which are fairly common around this time of year. They were less than a dollar each and fairly big, so I got one for everyone.

At the party, one of my conversation partners made a comment to the effect of, "huh, this is interesting" when she saw the cake. I thought, what's so interesting? These things are everywhere.

Then Russell and I decided to eat ours a few days later. When we opened the package there wasn't a cake inside, but what looked like a cake covered in waffle cone. I took a bite. Inside, I was surprised to find a fine (and messy) powder. Not what I was expecting. Russell had had enough with the surprises and decided to actually read the packaging while I continued to delicately eat powder out of the middle of the waffle cone coating.

It turns out these were in no way cakes. They were, in fact, a kind of dessert soup. The idea was to break up the waffle outside and drop the powder filling and waffle bits into a mug. Then fill with hot water and enjoy the sweet treat. We tried this next, and it was tasty. Different than anything I have had before, but tasty.

We bought another round recently and this time I documented it with pictures.

No comments: