Sunday 26 June 2011

Oh yeah - its summer

Summer has always been my least favorite season, but I never felt strongly about it in Oregon. I Japan I definitely hate it. Just to put icing on the cake, it looks like this year is going to be record breaker for heat and humidity.

Right now the temperature is 30C (86F) - which would be a lovely day in Oregon. However, with the thick humidity added to it, things are pretty miserable. Luckily the last few days have been mostly overcast, so we don't have the scorching sun to contend with, but outdoors is just not where you want to be right now.

It is definitely rainy season as well. We have had rain showers on and off for weeks. The rain I like, but the humidity is coming from somewhere and I'm afraid I have to blame the rain. Apparently there was a typhoon headed towards us this weekend, but it diverted to South Korea instead, so the rain and wind are lighter than they might otherwise have been.

Russell was telling me that due to the continued electricity shortage in the north and a push for the government to decommission nuclear plants, the Tokyo subways are going to only run air conditioning during rush hours

I don't recommend visiting Japan again until September.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I must say that was definitely the grossest summer weather I have ever experienced. And the trip was STILL amazing. :)

Like the new pic, btw. I recognized Gwen and Russ before myself.