Sunday 12 June 2011

Letterboxing in Nara - Almost

About a month back I ventured into Osaka to hear Russell's second band give their frist concert. The concert wasn't until later in the evening, but since I was already in Osaka, I decided to make sure I knew where I was going before heading off to entertain myself for the day. After some wandering, I discovered that the live house was actually right next to the station and I had walked right past it when I first arrived. That figured out, I sat down to figure out what I was going to do for the day. I had about four hours to kill. It occurred to me that there might be a letterbox in Osaka. I mean, it is a rather big city and there are tons of foreigners around. It seemed likely that one would pop up from time to time.

For those who haven't tried letterboxing or heard me emote about it in the past, letterboxing is a game where you get clues on the internet for a hidden box. You follow the clues, find the box (usually well hidden in a public area or hiking trail). Inside the box, there is a stamp (often home made) and a small book. You bring along your own personal stamp, book and ink pad and you stamp the box's book while using their stamp in your own book. Its a way to keep a record of the boxes you've found. Some of the stamp art is really cool, too and there is a huge sense of satisfaction when you can follow the clues all the way to your target.

Unfortunately, unlike geocaching, this has not caught on in Japan. I suspect it is because the boxes are quickly found and discarded by the overactive cleanup crews and conscientious citizens.

In any case, I did a search just in case something had popped up. Nothing in Osaka, but a new box had been planted in Nara. Nara is on the other side of Osaka from Kobe. Its a bit of a trek to get there, but I figured I would just have time. I managed to jump on an express train and was getting excited. I didn't have my own stamp or book, unfortunately, so I spent the train ride trying to figure out how I would remedy that. When the train pulled in, I realized that I was at the JR Nara station, which is a considerable hike away from the temple where the box was hidden. I debated taking a taxi, but that seemed a little extreme and I still needed to track down a stamp.

After a dozen blocks it was pretty clear I wasn't going to find a stamp. That left me with the option of making one on the fly. I jumped into a convenience store, bought an eraser, a small exacto knife, a notebook and an automatically inking brush (which I hoped would work for inking the stamp. I was running low on time, so I shot off for the temple. I was still only about half way there and time was running out. I figured out what my "point of no return" would be for time to make the concert. Unfortunately, the temple was farther than I had counted on and I didn't make it to my goal. I had to choose between a letterbox that may or may not have still been there or seeing Russell's first concert. I decided the box could wait if it had lasted this long. I headed back. I did make it to the concert on time.

I took a picture of my materials to commemorate the trip, but still no letterbox. I hope to head back to Nara in the near future. This weekend would have been perfect, but I have been sick and decided it would be better to stay close to home.

This has also made me want to start a letterboxing community in Kobe. Its an excuse to go hiking, be artistic and be sneaky. What's not to love?

No comments: