Sunday 23 May 2010

Highlights of Months Past

As I'm sure you've noticed, my blogging has been spotty at best these last couple of months. A lot of that has had to do with the new school year starting. The additional responsibility of acting as contact for four study abroad schools on top of a full teaching schedule has kept me quite busy. I feel like I barely find time to fit in sleep anymore - let alone blogging. Hopefully that will improve, though, now that everything is up and running.

In the meantime, I have failed to post some outstanding stories. Better get going on that, eh?

Outstanding Story #1: Nara and Fushimi Inari Shrine with Phil.

Phil headed home weeks ago... a month ago? Russell and I really enjoyed the company and we managed to get out to do quite a bit of sight seeing even though Phil worked most of the week days with Russell. One of the last trips we made was to Nara (to see the deer and giant Buddha) and then on to Fushimi Inari for a hike through the Torii-lined trails of the shrine. (Torii are the red gates found at Shinto shrines.) This shrine, as you may remember from Carolyn and Dad's visits has thousands of torii and is quite beautiful.

Unfortunately, Russell's leg was acting up and he didn't think he'd survive a hike. He had brought his computer, so he headed off to find internet somewhere while Phil and I took on the shrine. I'm afraid prior knowlege of how daunting the hike at this shrine can be has caused me to see this particular stop as a hiking challenge more than a sight-seeing destination. This meant I charged up the hill with little regard for whether Phil might want to, you know, enjoy the scenery or take a few odd pictures. . I'm not always the most thoughtful hostess.

It turned out to be a good thing that we had raced through the shrine, though. A couple hours later, just when we were on our way out, I got a message from Russell. I quote:

Russell: "Status?"
Jaci: "On our way out. I"ll text at exit."
Russell: "I"m at a bar nearby: Asonia." "Bartender is trying to feed me Absynthe"
5 minutes later
Jaci: "Just finished"
Russell: "What should I do?"
Jaci: "About the absynthe?"
Russell: " Ha. He gave me some. I think I have to drink it. Mottainai"

So Russell sent us a map with directions so we could find him. Phil and I set off. Just as we were arriving, though, we saw the previously mentioned bartender and Russell exiting the bar and going into some sort of business next door. It looked like a display room or storage room for antiques. We couldn't really see in very well, but there was another older guy there. Everyone took their shoes off before going in and we saw them all kneeling down at a low table where Russell was getting instructions on something (proper neighborhood shrine etiquette we later found out). Phil and I weren't so sure we wanted to join in, so we hung back a bit to see what would happen (and took pictures, of course).

After showing respects, the older fellow go up and started untying something we couldn't quite see. It turns out he was responsible for this little neighborhood shrine and had an extensive collection of samurai armor on display there. He wanted Russell to try on one of the helmets. Once the helmet came out, Phil and I knew we needed to get close enough for a decent picture - no more covert footage. The bartender saw us and we explained that we were with Russell. At this point, Russell was all geared up, so we took some pictures. We weren't disappointed. Along with the helmet, Russell was given a sword (sheathed and tied down after a long explanation of how dangerous the blades were). More pictures. Then the "God of the Shrine" (as the bartender had apparently referred to the older man) offered to suit Phil up as well. The helmet switched heads, and more photos were taken.

The "God of the Shrine" explained that the armor was going to be used in a parade that weekend for Golden Week. Apparently the parade was the start of a rather large festival which would include horseback acrobatics - of the kind designed to avoid getting shot by arrows. Apparently an ambulance is needed every year. We were invited to come watch (which we unfortunately had to pass on- hopefully we can go next year). After that, we headed back to the bar. The bartender was awesome. He spoke quite good English but was happy to use either language - which was good for Russell, who wanted to practice Japanese, and Phil and I, who couldn't keep up. Overall, he seemed a very friendly, laid back sort of guy, and we will definitely visit his establishment again when we are next in the Kyoto area. Phil also sampled the Absynthe (tastes like black licorice) and we all agreed it was a perfectly decent spirit - presuming you like black licorice.

Thank goodness Phil and I didn't dilly dally at the shrine!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Outstanding story #2??

Jaci said...

Huh.. What was Outstanding Story #2? I know I had one in mind when I started...

I'll get back to you.