Monday 1 March 2010

Starting to Accumulate...

We finally got one particular item that we both know we don't NEED but which I kind of wanted anyway - a microwave. Russell and I have been doing just fine without a microwave - or oven for that matter. I missed it when we first arrived, but I'm totally used to doing without one now.

Even so, one of my colleagues was leaving Japan and had a microwave that he was willing to give away. We decided to go for it. Microwaves in Japan generally have a microwave and an oven setting, so if you want to do any baking (that isn't in a rice cooker) this is the way you go.

Russell wasn't too happy with the plan at first. He was pretty sure it was at odds with my plans to lose the winter weight I have put on. He was pretty sure I only wanted the microwave so I could make cookies. I will admit, at Christmas time I did really want to make cookies, but that's in the past. Now I just want to be able to re-heat left overs once in a while. So far we've only used the microwave twice - once to make croutons (Russell's idea) and once to reheat a couple bentos.

I suspect it won't actually get that much use, but its still nice to have around.

I have to say, after a year, smaller living is really appealing to us. Our house back home seems pretty cavernous now. Its hard to imagine moving back to it. Maybe it should stay a rental and we can find something smaller. Just a thought. We will be putting that decision off for at least another year. Kobe is pretty awesome.

No comments: