Tuesday 26 May 2009

Swine Flu Update

This will have to be brief (and sorry, no pictures).

We made it through our "flu vacation" as the students dubbed it, and are back to school. There is still swine flu around, but Japan - or at least Kobe - has become bored with the disease after relatively slow spread and no fatalities. The whole panic has been chalked up to overreaction and media hype. You can't even find mention of swine flu in the newspapers anymore (even though it seems to still be spreading). Of course, it is probably big news in communities that are seeing it for the first time, but after a week, Kobe is desensitized. This, of course, means I now have to actually write the midterm exams I put off for an extra week. Damn.

Of course, people are still being somewhat cautions - but not to the same degree. Masks are almost back to normal levels (maybe still a bit elevated in usage) and schools are all back on. There haven't been any cases of swine flu at our school, but there was one at a neighboring school, so the administration is still on guard. The rubbing alcohol is still stationed at all major entrances and we are expected to sanitize our hands before we enter the building. There are also cups available in the bathroom for gargling.

One good thing that came out of the scare (for me) is that I discovered that yes, I can walk all the way to work - and it doesn't take that much longer than public transport. After waiting for and taking the train and then a bus, the commute is usually about 40 minutes door to door. Walking, it takes me about an hour and 10 minutes - not to mention I feel all tough for the rest of the day and I get to enjoy watching the ocean as I walk over the bridge to the island I work on. I'm sure I'll be giving this venture up when the weather turns muggy, but for the time being its pretty awesome.

1 comment:

KevnKat said...

So glad the flu scare was just that and nothing more serious.

Your walk to work experience sounds wonderful--you're smart to take advantage of it while the gettin' is good!

I'm loving reading the posts. Keep it up for all the rest of us mere mortals!

Hugs,
KB