Monday 11 May 2009

Pop Health Test

So my second week working at the university I found out that there would be a health test the next day. I said, "okay." I may have asked what it would involve, and was told the doctor would probably take my weight, height, blood pressure and a blood sample - nothing too serious. We should be done in 20 minutes.

Then I heard Mel talking...

Mel is also new to the university, but she has worked in Japan for quite a while. She seemed incredulous that we would ONLY need to perform the above tasks. Every previous place she had worked required chest X-rays, EKGs, eye tests, urine tests - the works.

As far as I could tell, the annual, work-sponsored physical is a harbinger of spring - much like cherry blossoms, but somewhat less pleasant. And it was starting to sound like a real headache...

Around 4:30pm I got a form that I had to fill out before the test the next day. Mel said she would help me if I came in early the next morning (because among the many things I have not studied, medical kanji is high on the list). She also warned me wear something with no metal in it - as anything with metal would have to come off before the chest Xray. Great.

The next morning we met, filled out papers (though it took longer than expected) and headed down to the impromptu doctors office in the school lobby. Now, keep in mind, we all have to teach at 9:20, and the doctors didn't arrive until 8:30. We arrived around 8:50 and were handed cups and pointed towards the restroom. We then stood in line with our cups and waited to have some sort of ph test done while we were weighted and measured. That finished, it was off to the eye exam, followed by a brief physical exam by a doctor. Our blood pressure was taken, and a sample of blood was taken. Next was the chest X-ray, but I was already late for class (and hadn't made copies yet) so I promised to come back and ran for it.

In the end, I didn't get the X-ray or EKG - the doctors were gone when my classes ended. I DID however get a fancy paper with my medical results today, and let me just say, they are quite thorough. I'm impressed. I suppose I should feel that my privacy has been violated (after all, I think my employer gets copies of this information) but I'm too entertained decoding what the numbers mean and if they are good or bad. Most are good so far... just need to keep working on weight.

I hope I get to do another one next year, so I can see whether the Japanese lifestyle has effected my health... I'm a science experiment! Yay!

No comments: