Sunday 3 May 2009

A few small discomforts

For the most part, we have adjusted just fine to life in Japan. But even so, there are a few small discomforts. I have mentioned the low sink before, but I managed to get a picture of Russell without him noticing the other day, so I thought I would illustrate. The pillow helps.


Another discomfort is the japanese style toilets. This picture is from a women's restroom - and is perfectly typical of public restrooms. Sometimes one or two stalls will have western-style toilets, and sometimes there are only western-style toilets... but its still common to find yourself stuck with tradition. I've gotten used to them, but they really are intimidating the first few times you use them. Oh, and there also often isn't toilet paper or any way to dry your hands after you wash them. Luckily, it is common to be handed tissues with promotional ads on them when you are walking on the street. As long as you always keep some in your purse, you are good to go. A wash cloth to dry your hands after washing them is also recommended - though I have not been so clever yet.

Note the green button on the wall. DO NOT PUSH THE GREEN BUTTON!

No comments: