Sunday 3 June 2007

Sleepy in Oviedo

Russell and I got up much too early this morning and made our way to the bus stop. Since we were running to catch the bus to San Sebastian, we wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to make it for the bus back. We got up two hours before the bus, were out the door 30 minutes later and had walked the mile and a half to the bus station with more than an hour to spare. Better than running in a panic, though.

The bus back was uneventful. We briefly considered going out to Gijon (a neighboring city) for a change of pace the rest of the day, but in the end we decided a nice long lunch and being lazy sounded better. For lunch, we had fabada. Fabada is a bean dish with chorizo, morcilla (blood sausage)and ham. Its really tasty, but not one of your lighter cuisines. After only five hours of sleep the night before and a belly full of fabada, we both crashed. After a quick nap, we forced ourselves to leave our hotel and enjoy Oviedo while we still can.

Needless to say, I´m not going to be writing much longer.

We are meeting up with my host sister this evening, catching a quick lunch with my host mom tomorrow, and we´ll be back at home tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like you found food all on your own. Thank goodness. I knew you could do it!
Blood sausage, eh? I must say I avoided that one. Is it really just congealed blood? Because that's what I imagine. You're the bravest eaters I know. :)

Nicole

Jaci said...

Rumor Police:

Blood Sausage is NOT just congealed blood (that had been my impression as well). I looked up the ingredients on Wikipedia:

morcilla has many variants. The most well known and widespread is "morcilla de Burgos" which contains pork blood and fat, rice, peppers, onions, and salt. Other varieties replace the rice with breadcrumbs or pine nuts and vary the proportions of the other ingredients or flavorings.

To tell the truth, though, the fabada just had three chunks of meat in it and both of the sausage bits looked pretty much the same. The chorizo was red and the morcilla was a dark purple, but as with most sausage-like foods, its best to jut not think about it too much and try it. I figure as long as its been eaten a long time and with little consequence, I'm not too worried. Ignorance is a powerful tool in adventure eating.