Monday 17 October 2011

A repeatable experiment

I've been very hungry lately. Perhaps its because the weather has been darker and colder, perhaps its from all the activity I got at the Lindy Exhange - I don't know. But hungry.

Over the weekend I made chili and Russell and I figured we could stretch it farther if we ate it with rice. Pair that with our general tendency to throw miscellanea in with the rice (lentils, mung beans, chestnuts, beef, garbanzos) and we had quite a hearty meal worked out for tonight. The rice of the day was brown rice with garbanzos - the garbanzos were thrown in dry, not from a can. The resulting rice was a tad dry and the garbanzos were not yet soft, but cooked all the way through.

Long story short, dinner was good, but I was still hungry. What I really wanted was something sweet, but all we had was a half cooker of brown rice and 3/4 cooked garbanzos. I took a helping of rice and garbanzos, added soy milk and sugar in a pan and some cinnamon. I cooked it until the milk started to thicken a bit.

Turns out the garbanzos totally played along. It was kind of delicious. The milk, sugar and rice made a nice rice pudding studded with chewy little garbanzo nuggets. Not bad at all.

If I had a food processor I would attempt to make a full on pudding by blending it all together and cooling it... but that seems a lot of effort to put in - especially if you are a fan of texture anyway.

No comments: