Tuesday 18 January 2011

Really Big Mittens: Part END

I can finally report success on the mitten-front. While they did take quite a bit longer than the mini-mock-up mittens, they weren't so hard to do after all.

Unfortunately, I can't report a total success. I was very worried when I made the first mitten that it would come out a hair to small and all my work would be for nothing - so I tended to round up whenever possible. This means the first mitten came out somewhat bitter than strictly needed. Its not so big as to be useless, but it does look a little ridiculous.

For the second mitten I was better informed and knew what to expect. As far as I know the second mitten was right on target.

Both mittens should keep Russell very warm. The knitted liner worked great. The resulting fabric is nice and thick and very tightly woven together.

Really big socks are the next request - though they have to wait for me to figure out a Christmas-gift hat pattern first.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Awesome! Was the liner part of the pattern, or did you knit two separate patterns? Also, nice enthusiastic modeling, Russell. I might send Oscar to you for instruction.

Jaci said...

You'd be surprised how much enthusiasm you get when its the price of having warm hands.