Friday 2 July 2010

Speech!

When invited to a dinner party in Japan - especially a business related dinner party - it is all too common to be asked to give an introduction and say a few words.

This has got to be the most terrifying experience I have ever had to deal with in Japan. I had the honor of introducing myself - in Japanese - to a bunch of people I vaguely recognized but didn't know so well today. I did, however, know that they were way higher up in the food chain than me. They were all very kind, but pretty darn intimidating.

My boss helped me prep a few sentences and then assured me it would be okay to finish in English. I almost forgot to think of something nice to say in English I was so busy repeating the Japanese lines over and over again.

Here's what I said. The part that was in Japanese is in brackets.

[My name is Jacqueline]
[I started working at this school last year in April.]
[I worked in Oregon in America before that]
I think teaching is one of the most wonderful things we can do.
I feel honored to work for this group.
[Its very nice to meet you]

I'm sure I was beet red the whole time and I shudder to think of the errors I undoubtedly made. Even so, it went far smoother than my self introduction to the study abroad parents last year. That was a royal disaster. It still gives me nightmares.

Parents are easily as terrifying as powerful businessmen. Probably more so.

I was rewarded with a delicious buffet dinner, cake and coffee.

No comments: