Monday 5 October 2009

Been a while!

Wow.

Sorry for the hiatus from the blog. The last few weeks have been a mite crazy. Among other things, I found myself back in Oregon for an emergency trip to sort things out for our student who are currently studying at Oregon State University.

I'm not sure I should get into specifics on my blog, but the general trend was: thing went really well, then kind of iffy - we returned to Japan and then things started to really go down hilll - but now there is some hope that a resolution may yet be reached. Keep your fingers crossed, even if you know not what for. :)

Right before I headed out to Oregon I had one day of weekend to spend with Russell. We decided to try out an arboretum that Russell's Japanese teacher had recommended. As is all too typical of us, we got off to a late start and only arrived about an hour before the arboretum closed. We had put a great deal of effort into finding the place, though, so we decided to pay the entrance fee and get as much out of it as we could.

It turned out to be a lovely big arboretum split between a sculpture garden (regular sculptures by famous artists scattered along a not-so-challenging terrain) and a hiking course (with short hikes in all directions and hiking paths off of hiking paths going up, down and around all manner of forested hills). We barely got to scrape the surface of the hiking trails, but they were a perfect blend of challenging, but not too challenging. We will certainly go back.

Then it was off to Oregon for a week only to start teaching the day after I got back (10 hours after, to be exact). Luckily my anti-jet lag strategies mostly worked and while I slept very well (and often early) every night. I never woke up at odd times or felt overly exhausted during the day. One week of teaching under my belt for the term and we arrived at the first holiday. Yes, we got the second Monday off.

Three day weekend!

No comments: