Saturday 17 November 2012

Allergens

I don't know what was different about this year, but when we pulled our winter sweaters out of the closet we discovered that some sort of allergen had settled into them. Both Russell and I instantly start sneezing uncontrollably and searching for tissues whenever we put on a sweater. I'm suspicious this is because I stored everything in plastic tubs this winter for the first time. I put moisture eaters in that were suppose to keep the humidity at bay and prevent mold, but something clearly went wrong. I wore one sweater on Wednesday assuming it would air out over the course of the day, but that was a false assessment. I was a mess all day and started sneezing again the next morning when I picked the sweater up off the floor.

This got us thinking that it might be time to finally purchase a vacuum. We've needed one for other purposes, but cleaning out the closet seems a high priority, and a vacuum would sure help. We went out this afternoon and purchased a high powered vacuum that not only vacuums normally but filters the air above the vacuum as well while its running. We spent the afternoon vacuuming all our sweaters and bedding (which had been stashed in the closet as well during the summer). Hopefully it will help. If not, we'll bite the bullet and take everything we can't wash to the cleaners. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Tomorrow we will venture further into the closet. Wish us luck.

No comments: