Friday 23 September 2011

Letting others do my work

I just stumbled across someone else's blog about Japan (This Japanese Life by someone named Eryk) and the first two articles I read were so good I feel the need to direct you to them.

The first one is about attempting to be vegetarian in Japan. This post is spot on. Click here.


The other is about convenience stores in Japan. The only bit that doesn't ring true in Kobe is the "Get Chodo'd" game. If you give a clerk exact change in Kobe at any store, restaurant, etc. you will 100% get a "Chodo itadakimasu" - which for lack of a better translation I will say means "I accept your exact change." Its not the sort of thing that would inspire a game. Everything else is absolutely true, though. Click here.

According to the information about him on his blog, Eryk is a former newspaper editor - so perhaps I shouldn't be too sad that his posts are so much better than mine. I'm certainly going to enjoy reading more of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I saw a post about the Shim Sham...
I'm from D.C. where I swing dance every Saturday night at Glen Echo.

I'm wondering if there is swing dancing in Kyoto?

Patrick

Jaci said...

I don't know of any groups in Kyoto, but there are two groups in Osaka. (maybe a 30-40 minute train ride?)

The group I know best is Mechakucha Swing:

http://mechakuchaswing.main.jp/mks/Top.html

They have swing nights every Wednesday at "Calling" in Umeda. There is also a Lindy Exchange coming up in October:

http://mechakuchaswing.main.jp/ole_2011/OLE2011.html

Feel free to drop in. You would be more than welcome. Its a great group of people.