Thursday 28 April 2011

No thanks - just water for me

Japan is the land of vending machines, and our school has no shortage. We have four machines fully stocked with soda, juice, tea, coffee, cocoa, water and whatever variations the soft drink companies can dream up. Hot and cold. Generally, I try to stay frugal and just stick to instant coffee, tea and water which can be had much cheaper in our office.

While today was quite chilly again, the last couple of weeks were starting to get pretty warm. I was keeping up with my morning cup of instant Nescafe but by the end of class its been too warm to justify coffee for an afternoon pick-me-up. I decided to try Pepsi Nex. Is that what its called in the US? Somehow I doubt it. Its basically a variation on Diet Pepsi. Perhaps not even a variation. We have no theory on what image "Nex" is suppose to inspire. I think of Nexxus shampoo, myself.

In any case, the first can was quite refreshing and packed a reasonable dose of caffeine. The next day after class I found myself heading down to get another.

Along came Friday. We have been giving our students homework where they have to come ask the English teachers questions and record the answers they hear. It gives them an added opportunity to practice English outside of class and draws them into the English office so they are more likely to come on their own down the road. This week was favorites/likes/dislikes. One of my conversations went something like this:

Student: "Questions... Okay?"
Me: "Yes, go ahead."
Student: "Do you like Japan?"
Me: "Yes, I do like Japan."
Student: "What is your favorite sports?"
Me: "My favorite sporT is swimming.
Student: "Do you like sushi?"
Me: "Yes, I do like sushi."
Student: "Really?"
Me: "Yeah, really."
Student: "What is your favorite drink?"
Me: "My favorite drink is coffee."
Student: "Not Pepsi Nex?"

I'm switching back to water.

No comments: