Monday 21 June 2010

A Taste of Home

Just as I finished my last post and published it, I remembered something interesting that we did on Saturday.

On my walk to work in the morning, I go past at least 3 interesting looking cafes. They are often full of people and not too full of smoke - a good sign. They also have reasonably priced breakfast menus. I thought it would be fun on Saturday for Russell and I to go out to breakfast at one of these establishments.

Russell had been down this road early on in our Japanese adventure and the cafes had not jumped out as being especially tasty. After some prodding, though, he agreed to go take a look. I blew right past one place because I was doing too much talking and not enough observing of my surroundings. The second place was closed for the weekend, but the third place was open and doing a brisk business. A couple left just as we were walking up, so we grabbed the open table.

Inside, the cafe was a cheerful American/country style with wood chairs and chalkboard menus hanging on the walls. The menu was also surprisingly American. Keeping in mind that traditional Japanese breakfasts consist of rice, fish and vegetables and common "wester" breakfasts consist of coffee with two tiny slices of toast or (for those with an appetite) and egg salad sandwich, I was more than a little surprised to see "bacon and eggs," "pancakes" etc. Of course, there were more traditional Japanese choices and several hybrid options, but all the breakfasts seemed to be filling portions (though not gut-busters). I had the bacon and eggs and was quite pleased with the result. It tasted quite authentic but had the added perk of not being too huge and including a lovely side salad. Russell got the lunch special which was more leaning toward the Japanese side of things. There was some delicious chicken with onions, a small bowl of rice, miso soup and bacon.

We will definitely have to go back. The only drawback for Russell was that there wasn't internet available. Which means he can't camp out there and work during the day. It says a lot that he was disappointed by this realization. It did seem like a good place to park for a while.

No comments: