Sunday 21 June 2009

Summer Heat

Starting yesterday, the weather has gone from beautiful hot sunny days with a cool breeze to muggy. The rain last night probably won't help things today, either. It is amazing how uncomfortable humidity makes things. The temperature itself is not so hot, but your cloths stick to you as soon as you walk outside. Apparently, once the rainy season is over, the temperatures will really start going up - and that's when everyone wishes they were somewhere else. I, myself, and perfectly willing to start complaining now - even though I know its going to get a lot worse. I am so, so thankful we got an air conditioner installed in time! It not only cools the house down, it also de-humidifies it. I should probably be worried about electricity bills... but being comfortable at home is feeling pretty worth the expense right now. Thankfully the nights have been cooling down enough that we can turn the AC off and open windows before we go to bed. That isn't going to last long, though. Ugh.

Updates:

Roaches
We have not had a repeat visit thus far. Last night I wiped every surface of our apartment down, so hopefully there will be nothing to attract them. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

Ring Allergy:
I had another appointment with the dermatologist and while my fingers haven't itched in two weeks and are no longer swollen, there is still a little bit of discoloration. I therefore must return in two more weeks. It appears he will not be satisfied until my hand looks 100% normal again. I both appreciate his thoroughness and am a little bit annoyed. I am very ready to just move on. It is clearly almost healed. Ah well. Now that it is better, though, the hunt for a new ring has begun in earnest. We found two nice jewelers yesterday and we are going to look for a few more before making a final decision.

2 comments:

Justin M. said...

I ran into a guy from Baltimore this weekend at a conference and we were talking to a third guy about DC-area humidity. He had an analogy I hadn't heard before, so let me know if Kobe is a good fit for it, too.

1) Take a pair of jeans and put them through the wash on hot.
2) Take them out before the spin cycle.
3) Put them over your head.
4) Take a pant leg and put it over the tailpipe of a running car.
5) Welcome to DC humidity.

Jaci said...

We're not there yet, but there is definitely more to come...