Thursday 18 June 2009

Our Midnight Visitor

I had heard rumors that along with searing hot sun and suffocating humidity, summer would also likely bring cockroaches. For anyone reading who has lived in humid and or hot climates, this probably doesn't sound so daunting... but I had only ever seen live cockroaches in insect exhibits at the zoo. Getting a brief warning from Russell before seeing one running at me - while I was laying on my futon on the floor, no less - that just wasn't welcome. When I jumped up, the roach changed trajectory and hid behind our refrigerator. I went and got one of Russell's shoes and tried to hand it to him, but he wasn't having any of it. I got him to pull the refrigerator out and when our not so little friend when scuttling across the kitchen floor, I hit him. I didn't get him directly, but I stunned him enough so he stopped running. Then, on Russell's suggestion I covered him with a paper bag (killing something that looks large enough to be a pet is new to me) and beat the hell out of it. I'm sure our neighbors downstairs were thrilled.

We quickly researched roach prevention on the Internet. We have been doing our best to keep the house spotless - but frankly, we live in a pretty run down neighborhood. There are plenty of places for roaches to nest, so there is probably only so much we can do to avoid them. We do need to get a garbage can with a lid and covers for our sinks. We have already made sure all food is in plastic bags or kept in the refrigerator and we wiped out all our cabinets so there wouldn't be any tasty crumbs or residue. We also made a midnight trek down to the grocery store and discovered that roach hotels and roach spray were an end-aisle display (and getting rather picked over). We pretty much got one of everything and hiked home. We will be in deep-cleaning mode this weekend.

I suppose I was getting a little bit too cozy and comfy here - the food has been outstanding, my work is good, we are close to all sorts of wonderful things to do - there had to be something to balance that all out.

I hope no one will mind that I am NOT including a photo. Our little friend was at least as long as the palm of my hand, though. Awesome.

No comments: