Saturday 26 May 2012

FOOD

Today was the first conference day that I attended. It was also the day that I presented. My presentation went fine and I attended a number of other good conference sessions. Even better, I feel that I'm doing much better than average at networking - something I am never very good at. I was even asked to do a book review for a major journal. Yikes! I channelled my boss, though, and just said "you bet". Now I have to figure out how to follow through, but I'll do it. I'm really excited.

This evening was our tour of the night market. There are many night markets all around Taiwan, but one of the well known ones is right down the street from our hotel. Night markets are centers of activity that are open all night every day of the week. They are characterized (as far as I can tell) by many stores selling everything you can imagine - mostly at very cheap prices - and tons of street food. It probably won't come as a surprise to hear that this one is right next to a very large university. I don't know if that is always true, but it does seem the perfect place for such a hub.

Three of us (all foreign teachers from Japan, actually) were in a small group with two adorable Taiwanese students. They were super awesome.

Oh Man! The food hasn't slowed down, and is only getting better and better. I was good and took lots of pictures, but I can't upload them until I get home. Until then, here is a summary of all the delicacies I just had at the night market.

1. Sausage on a patty of sticky rice - this was my favorite. I got the spicy one and it was absolutely delicious.
2. Real Taiwan Bubble Tea (I've had lots of bubble tea in the US and Japan, but it really is better in Taiwan. Yum).
3. Stinky Tofu- both regular and spicy. I didn't find the smell pleasant, but I've eaten far stinkier things. I thought both were delicious, but the spicy one was super delicious.
4. Pig's blood cake on a stick - pigs blood cooked with sticky rice and formed into a patty which was then rolled in toasted soy bean powder and shredded cilantro. This was delicious. I never would have known what it was if I hadn't heard about it before and been so keen to try it anyway.
5. crispy grilled prawns. They are grilled whole in their shell and are so crispified that you just eat them head, shell, tail and all. Delightful.

Our guides did seem a bit disappointed that we were all so enthusiastic about all the food they were sure foreigners wouldn't eat. They were pleased at the same time, though, since they love all these foods too. 

Favorite moment: Ron (who is probably about 6'2") said he was really tired. He said he would keep going, though, until he fell over. He suggested that when that happened, the girls shouldn't worry, they should just call the ambulance. One of our guides (barely 5 feet and tiny) very seriously said, "No. We don't need to call an ambulance. When you fall over, I will carry you on my back. Its true. I'm very strong."

The girls kept claiming they're English was bad and they were shy of speaking, but they were chatting away the whole night and were sharper than I was with the teasing. Ron was constantly teasing them and they were giving it right back. It was a lovely, fun evening. I was, once again, totally spoiled.

No comments: