Sunday 22 May 2011

Random Photos

It seems that often I get too busy and forget to post. I was going back though my photos recently and found several that I had intended to post but never got around to. With that in mind, I thought I would use my post today to share.

The first picture is of a dish Russell and I often get at Japanese pubs. They are little fried fish, and as you can see, they are fried whole. You get to eat the tail, fins, bones, head and what's left of their eyes. Succeeding at eating something like this, if you're coming from an American perspective, lies in just not thinking about it. Everything is perfectly tasty - in fact, the head doesn't have as much meat in it, so its delightfully crisp and flavorful. The bones are so fine you don't notice them at all. You just munch away. Every time we order them, though, I think, "huh, I wonder what everyone back home would think..."

If you get the chance to try some, I recommend them.

The next picture is of my "No Russell Pizza Party." Russell has parlayed his newly developed intolerance of dairy here in Japan to an anti-pizza stance. Even though he has medication to help him eat dairy, he has decided that pizza is just one of those things that should be avoided anyway. The minute he steps onto an airplane for a business trip, though, I race home, call my friends and have a pizza party. The local "Chicago Pizza" (not to be confused with chicago-STYLE pizza, which it definitely is not) has a three cheese pizza that's to die for. Mozarella, parmesan and camembert for the win. Since my friends are health conscious, we made huge salads and piles of edamame to fill ourselves up before the pizza arrived, but none of the pizza survived the encounter in spite of our efforts.

Finally, proof that it does snow in Kobe. Our first year, snow occasionally fell, and it would collect on the trees in the hills, but none every accumulated in the city. This winter, we actually had a handful of nights when snow accumulated. I made sure to take pictures. I was very excited. You can see the white fringe on the rooftop - its snow!

Okay, it wasn't always that lame. Never a real pile up, but we did occasionally get more than that.

No comments: