Tuesday 3 August 2010

A General Lack of Sleep

July was not good for restin' in this household. There were a variety of contributing factors to the general lack of sleep.

First, its hot out. This is not a huge problem, because we have an air conditioner and do generally keep it on at night. We don't put it on full blast, but we try to keep the place de-humidified at least. Covers, however, do not appeal. Somehow, sleeping in hot weather just isn't restful.

Next, it gets unpleasantly hot outside as soon as the sun is up. Since the sun starts comes up around 5am, the 5-6 slot is the most appealing for walking to work. Something I am still doing daily. Getting up that early is also not restful (but at least its my own damn fault).

The other night, we had our first summer guest. I woke up to the feel of a critter on my leg. When I jumped up, the black beast scuttled quickly to the wall and then circumvented the room looking for a hidey-hole. I woke Russell up but was still too asleep to explain what had happened. I started to think I had imagined the whole thing. Russell investigated, though, and verified the guest. We were no longer sleepy. Russell had a can of spray poison in hand faster than I would have thought possible. I was none too thrilled will spraying deadly chemicals all over our bed and pillows, so I tried to hold things out of the way while Russell sprayed as much of the toxins on the beast as he could. I still got the dubious honor of dealing the death blow and flushing our ex-friend.

So much for a roach free summer.

FInally, my own husband has begun working against my sleep schedule. He has always stayed awake later than me - I've come to accept that. Its not ideal for sleeping when the lights are on and someone is practicing guitar just on the other side of the bedroom door, but he tries to be quiet and I can tune most things out. Whats really getting me, though, is that Russell has become so accustomed to me being out of bed before the sun comes up, that if he wakes up and can actually see me still in bed, he's pretty sure I'm late for work. Even if its Saturday or Sunday. On Sunday this week, I did have to go to work for Open Campus, but I didn't have to be there until 10am. I had re-set my alarm so I could catch a few extra hours of sleep. I tried to explain this to a half-asleep Russell as he insisted I would be late, but he wasn't grasping the concept. After he had woken me up 3 times at 10 minute intervals, I finally just got out of bed to pacify him. So much for sleeping in.

Hopefully my fortunes are changing, though. Finals week is almost over and things should quiet down considerably once the students are gone. I should be able to relax and focus my attention on preparations for the Oregon trip. Ah, to have a light at the end of such a long, dark tunnel.

No comments: